Saturday, November 13, 2021

MyShadowProductions #68 - Honduras/Loma de Luz Days 11 & 12

Happy weekend everyone!

Friday was another beautiful day and Mario and I made a lot of progress on the wooden storage shelves for the container. The shelves will be used by the Hospital to more efficiently store many different types of supplies for use by the nurses and doctors. 

I took photos of some different art at Loma de Luz for use in a future post.

Wanted to share some words I have learned:

claro = nail , peligroso = dangerous , martillo = hammer , cortar = to cut 

cena = supper , quinientos = 500 , presa = dam , escalero = ladder , 

 tubo = pipe , basura = garbage , secadora = dryer  

Saturday started out with a little rain and my third attempt at laundry. Now I have 2 pair of jeans with some holes. I found enough courage with my Spanish to ask the housekeeper that works on Saturday if she knew anyone that could fix the jeans. Conoces a alguien que puede repare mis pantalones?

She said her Mama could fix them and she will bring them back on Jueves (Thursday) and put them by my puerta (door). I will pay her on Saturday if I am not there when she brings the pants back. That’s how it works here :)

I can’t seem to resist el mar (the sea). The 15 minute walk there is perfect and I love that moment when I can first hear the waves, usually a good 5 minutes before I can see the water through the marvelous trees.

I found 2 possible walking sticks on the beach today, pictured below, I chose the one on the right, it is sturdy and should last the entire trip.


While I was walking on the beach I saw a fisherman putting his hand-hewn boat into the water. In a matter of minutes and with what appeared to be little effort he was well over 1000 feet offshore. I could see a white marker of some sort floating where he stopped to fish.

Launching his boat

                     On the way to his fishing spot.

Here are a couple of photos I took on my first beach walk where I saw the hand-hewn boats:

I think a boat being made?

Completed boats?

They make the boats from a fast growing tree that I can’t remember the name of, no luck googling it either.

While at the beach I also couldn’t resist another swim. The water is a perfect temperature for me and again no undertow or large crashing waves. I did get my first sting from a jellyfish though. I felt it on the top of my foot in waist high water and I quickly shook it and swam away. It stung/burned/itched for about 15 minutes but went away and has a faint red mark.

Here are a couple of movie/videos from today’s walk on the beach:



Here are a few drinks I like to get at the Hospital cafeteria for my refrigerator in the room.


Pineapple juice and a spicy vegetable juice :)

Grateful that I had a nice walk at the beach, sun has set and it is raining pretty steady, good for sleeping and the plants too :)

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful and enjoyable! I’m in the market for a walking stick but I need one that is straight.
    It’s a gorgeous day here. I need to clear my patio for winter but the geraniums and bougainvillea are blooming nicely. Hope it doesn’t snow anytime soon.
    Oh, good tour of the hospital- I’m impressed w the facilities!
    💕💕🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice that you are so close to the Sea. There is something about water that is calming.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beach certainly does look inviting to visit, nice it isn’t too far! Thanks for sharing all the beauty !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the interest and comments, I am very grateful for this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete