Thursday, November 11, 2021

MyShadowProductions #67 - Honduras/Loma de Luz Day 9 & 10

Hola!!

I want to start with a few things that may or may not be interesting but worth mentioning?

One of the jobs that the Honduran maintenance crews do here is cut down the grass?/weeds that grow just about everywhere. They do this with machetes (I am so glad they don’t use weed eaters). Mostly in a group of 5 or 6 guys and they cover an amazing amount of ground in 8 hours.

The photo below shows a termite nest on the side of a tree. Farmers sometimes take the whole nest, termites and all and feed it to their chickens.


The Hospital Loma de Luz did 109 surgeries last month, a record for them. I am usually not in the hospital itself and I try to respect the patients privacy.
Click here for a video about the Hospital that I saw online prior to coming here.

Some of the smaller islands in Cayos Cochinos Archipelago that I have mentioned a few times have been the site of some Survivor shows by Italy, France and Spain.

The quebrada (mountain stream) that I am going to talk about below is panned for gold by some locals who I am sure are very private about their “spot” and “finds”.

Yesterday I hiked with Dave through the jungle to check on a couple of additional water tank locations up the mountain along Quebrada Caigüina (I think that is the name of the stream). I can’t explain how cool, beautiful, jungley, a little slippery in spots, definitely wet in spots, boulders, very tall jungle trees, small waterfalls, ferns, etc and three different water pipes in various locations along with an electrical line in piping. One water pipe, the larger in the pictures is for a property owner near Loma de Luz, a second pipe is for the personal residence and land of the Founder of Loma de Luz and the third serves the El Camino Bilingual School of Loma de Luz. The machete crew will be working to clear around the water pipe trail too!

Near one of the tanks is this huge Boulder (easily over 12 ft diameter) “stuck” in the walls of the quebrada:


I can just picture Indiana Jones and friends scrambling down the quebrada to escape the rolling Boulder and they are saved when it gets caught in a narrow part of the ravine!

I need to say it again, this was fun and cool!

Here is a movie/video created from my photos:


Today, I was working with Mario again on sawing and nailing more shelves for the container. These are the only photos I have so far of the container and the shelves, but maybe it gives a little idea of what is happening.



Today the weather was mostly sunny so I took another walk to the beach after “work.

I went swimming today. The water is safe and no undertow. Sand dollars everywhere. I like bodysurfing and was able to get a few short rides. Almost my private little beach. One local guy swimming a ways down the beach and one jogger with his dog. At the beach you can see holes in the sand where the crabs are hiding and after dark I think locals catch crabs for eating.

The sunset was different of course and there were some clouds that had moved in:


This next photo is a mango tree next to the Shop where we all meet in the morning. Mangos are not in season now but this tree has a bunch close to the metal roof that reflects the sun and fools the tree.


Hasta Luego !!

No comments:

Post a Comment