Tuesday, August 27, 2024

CHICAGO’S LITTLE ITALY & NAPER SETTLEMENT - MyShadowProductions #181

CIAO !! Hello in Italian, right?

On Saturday August 10, 2024 I went to Chicago again to see what I could see.There was the Chicago Air & Water Show going on. That event is most likely the most popular free “Happening” in Chicago each year. (+/- 100,000 plus people)

Surprise, surprise but I chose not to do that, even though I probably could have found an area outside the crowds with a good vantage point.

I chose to go to Chicago’s Little Italy for the Taylor Street Little Italy Festa.



Side note, my paternal grandparents were from Fonte Alto, Veneto in Northern Italy. I have been fortunate to have visited their hometown, walked through my Nonna’s (we called her Nonni:) family house, viewed their birth and marriage records at the Church as well as meeting relatives. I wonder how I would have “blogged” about those trips, but that was before MyShadow :)

                 Window at Nonni’s Family home in Fonte Alto

Much like my visit to Chicago’s Chinatown, I was a little disappointed but honestly not surprised with Little Italy. There were a lot of green, white and red flags, the mandatory bocce ball court, a little piazza and restaurants, along with the booths and stages set up for the Festa (Festival).

I feel uncomfortable writing and seeing my own words, (not trying to be negative) in reality, Little Italy today is what it is, a name for a neighborhood in the Near West Side community area (one of 77+/-) in the City of Chicago, IL. Wikipedia explains it better HERE :)

Yes, it would be cool (maybe?) to see it in its “hey day”, many Italian families? some Italian being spoken? small markets for food and other essentials? quaint little restaurants with good/inexpensive food? etc. but, not that day. I plan on visiting again after doing more research for other interesting features that I didn’t see that day.

CLICK HERE for Wikipedia’s version of Little Italy.

I did see/hear an Italian singer (Antonío Bevaqua) from Calabria in Southern Italy, Click Here for a short Video, go ahead and sing along if you like/can :) Again, it was early, so the empty seats were probably full as the day progressed, the Air and Water Show ended and sunset approached with entertainers rotating between the 4 stages.

I saw a good amount of people/families, some obviously celebrating their heritage and others just enjoying the vibe of another neighborhood festival, I even had an Italian Sausage sandwich but didn’t wait in line for Italian Lemonade (I think it has basil in it :)

The walk to and from Union Station was interesting as well and the frequent passing of jets overhead were reminders of the Air Show just miles away.

I created THIS VIDEO from my photos during that day’s adventure to Little Italy :)

Now, for something completely different. Where were you on March 29, 2024. My photos help me to remember that I was in Naperville (Aurora’s younger, prettier, richer, “sister” city) for an appointment and after that I walked through Naper Settlement. This is a link to their website. Basically it is an “outdoor museum” of what life was like “back then”.




This link takes you to a Video created from my photos at Naper Settlement including Art in the Visitor Center.

Back to the present :) August 10, the unexpected Public Art was pretty cool!!




I hope everyone is enjoying their Summer doing what you do, (I bet Fall comes next:).

If you like, listen to this “Curtain Call” from Antonío !!

Any idea where these photos were taken?





Future Posts will reveal the locations :)

CIAO for NOW !!

Oh, and this will hopefully be over after today :)




2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed seeing Little Italy and your comments brought back fond memories of the trip to Italy for the "family reunion". Naper settlement was also interesting. Patty

    ReplyDelete