Monday, December 4, 2023

Puerto Viejo de Talamanca & Beaches North of Cahuita - MyShadowProductions #151

Buenos Dias !!

This blog will cover days 5&6 in Costa Rica.

Day 5 - Wednesday- November 29

This day I went to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, about 25 minutes South down the coast. This “more popular” beach down was definitely more hectic, hippie like, more traffic, etc.

I did find some interesting spots and some unexpected trails along the coast from the town to Landscape Cocles.



As I was taking some photos at the Landscape Cocles, cliff and small island, a point that endures constant assault from the waves, I was standing on some rocks and a wave came up bigger than others and filled my boots.

I walked away to a safer spot and removed my shoes to dump out the water and sand. I looked down and there was a trail of Leaf Cutter Ants, I remembered them from Honduras and later I googled about them and apparently their amazing species has been around for millions of years. I can’t even begin to fathom all of that.

View a short Video Here.

Puerto Viejo has a black sand beach, Playa Negra, a few shipwrecks and some rugged coasts and other beaches with their own variety of jungle trees and their relationship with the Caribbean.

CLICK HERE for my movie/video created from my day in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca.

Day 6 - Thursday - November 30

When you walk out of your cabin to start a walk/hike to beaches and coastline and local things you have never seen before and you hear Howler Monkeys, what do you do?

1. Ignore them and hurry on?

2. Take a Quick Look but move on so you don’t “look like a tourist” (which is what I am :)?

3. Take a look, see several monkeys with smaller monkeys, take the time to make a video?

I am glad to say I chose number 3 - Click Here for my Howler Monkeys video, this was just across the street from my cabin :)

As I mentioned above, I walked out of my cabin and turned left, north, to see what that part of Cahuita had to offer.

I was pleasantly surprised, although at times the trails were hard to find, it was cool to see more variety in the waves, the coastal volcanic rocks (I think?), tidal pools and one beautiful view after another.

I will not try it, but I think you can walk/hike the beach all 25 miles to Limón.

ClicK HerE for my movie/video created from my photos, longer than expected but you can take a few extra minutes, right?

On the way back I saw a Mama and Baby Sloth, no sense taking a video there, haha.


Have a great day !!

5 comments:

  1. So cool to see a mama and baby sloth!! Loving this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool to see a mama and baby sloth! Loving this adventure!! - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adventure you're having, looks amazing. Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great—Greetings from San Diego— it really is beautiful out hear- will go home next week 💕💕🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! The Howler Monkeys are fascinating and so are the sloths! What a great experience.

    ReplyDelete