Friday, February 10, 2023

Flores (La Isla), Guatemala - MyShadowProductions # 131

Buenos dias !!

The drive to Guatemala City was a little less like a roller coaster than I thought, but I still haven’t learned that I cannot reach the brakes from the backseat :)

The news is that I am writing this Post from the Guatemala City Airport. I flew here this morning from Flores. I have shortened my trip and I am flying back to Denver today, Friday, February 10.

Flores was fine and I was able to get some interesting photos. I ended up not going to Tikal (Mayan Ruins/Temples) nor to Rio Dulce and Livingston.

I did get to kayak a little on Lago Petén Itzá:


For Tikal, the transportation options just didn’t work for me and it just didn’t feel right.

For Rio Dulce and Livingston, the same, at this point of my trip I didn’t want to spend 4+ hours on a bus. Also, arrival times and connection times for the boat down the Rio Dulce to Livingston required an overnight stay in Rio Dulce, etc. Anyway, it just felt right to fly back to Denver and the Rio Dulce boat trip to Livingston can be added to future travels?

Flores Airport is very small and very close to the Isla of Flores, both good things. The first thing to notice in Flores is that the level of Lake Petén Itzá is high (boat guy told me about one meter, +/- 3ft?). He said it was due to “mucho lluvia, lot of rain” over last year or so. The high water has flooded parts of the Malecòn (walkway)/ Ring Road around the small island. Apparently there is not a solution available, at least an affordable one. On Google maps I don’t see any rivers leaving the lake, it seems to be surrounded by higher elevations?? Not my problem but I would like to know the full story.




Click here for a movie/video created from my photos in Flores.

WiFi is not so great here at the Airport so I will say Adios for now.

Gracias a Todos !!!



2 comments:

  1. Waters look so cool and clean. Loved flowers and heron
    Happy Valentine’s Day 💘

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed hero and waters and flowers 🧜🏻🦋💗

    ReplyDelete