Saturday, January 14, 2023

Guatemala Trip 2023 - MyShadowProductions # 121

Happy New Year!

I am going (along with MyShadow) to Guatemala for my next trip. Leaving Denver on this Monday January 16 and returning February 17, 2023. My original goal was to find a volunteer opportunity similar to my time in Honduras (click here for the first of 20 posts in Honduras) but that didn’t happen so it will be a trip exploring a few areas in Guatemala.

Here is a map of Guatemala and my proposed itinerary.


#1 City of Antigua Guatemala 
#2 Monterrico on Pacific Coast
#3 Lake Atitlán
#4 Flores and Tikal (Mayan Ruins)
#5 Rio Dulce and Livingston (Caribbean Coast)
#6 Possibly a Guided Tour of Guatemala City day before departure.

There is a lot of variety: Colonial towns, Mountains, Volcanos, Lakes (Lagos), Rivers (Rios), Pacific Coast, Caribbean Coast, Jungle, Rain Forests, Canyons, Waterfalls, Coffee Farms (Fincas), Mayan Ruins, Culture, UNESCO World Heritage Sites, Wildlife, Food, etc. I won’t see it all but a good sample.

Transportation will include Planes, taxis, Uber?, buses (even the famous “chicken buses”? maybe a short ride for the experience??), boats (lanchas), walking of course, tuk tuks, shuttle vans and hopefully a kayak or two.

I will try to do a Post 2 or 3 times a week and hopefully the WiFi availability and internet connections cooperate.

I realize that there are certain concerns about travel in Guatemala (and just about anywhere these days) and I have tried to research ahead of time for appropriate areas and I intend to keep my mind open to change my plans if needed as I get a feel for things with my “boots on the ground”.

Ok, here is an idea I have and I hope everyone reading this chooses to help out.

I want to do what I am going to call “A Photo Scavenger Hunt” throughout the trip. I would like a list of “things” that I can keep an eye out for and then get a photo of each. Make sense? Things like, Fire Hydrant, USA license plate, Blue Boat and so on. You can give your list in comments with your name or anonymous or you can email me at Kim-favero@hotmail.com. The more the merrier and more challenging so hopefully ten or so per each please?

Just a quick couple of photos from a recent parade to start the National Western Stock Show in Denver:

                        A lot of Horses and Wagons
I took some photos on the return route on 18th St, the main route was 17th St with the crowds.

                  Random view around Union Station, I liked the colors

                  Very well behaved Longhorn Cattle :)

I am not a big fan of parades but I did find it a little interesting, but hard to get photos:) 

That’s it for now, please take a minute or two to send me some ideas for the Photo Scavenger Hunt.

Thanks !!

2 comments:

  1. What to look for and take a picture:
    1. Guatemalan flag
    2. Colorful bird
    3. Kayak
    4. Open market shop
    5. Woman wearing a hat
    6. A cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jade piece of jewelry
    Marimba instrument
    Dog
    Unusual bird
    Cacaco farm
    All for now but will think of more
    LeeAnn

    ReplyDelete