Sunday, August 23, 2026

Beach Hazards Day - Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool - Northerly Island, Burnham Harbor & Lakefront Trail -- MyShadowProductions #230

 Bom Dia !! Remember? That is “good day”, “hello” in Portuguese if you remember my trip and blog posts from late January into February of 2025. I mention it because there were several days there that the weather said “severe coastal event” which meant large waves. On one of those days I took a bus from Lisbon to Arenhas del Mar to see some large waves, here is a Link to that Post which includes a Video.

Ok, I will get to the point :) Several times here when I check the weather for Chicago it will say “Beach Hazards Statement” and it details some forecasted large waves and rough currents. This is Lake Michigan, not the Atlantic Ocean, so the wave heights aren’t as dramatic, 15ft + vs 5-8ft, but I still wanted to see it :) 

So, on August 2, 2026 I started my wave adventure north of downtown near the Chevron Sculpture and Fullerton Avenue walking my way South past the Concrete Beach, North Ave Beach and the Oak St Beach. Then a crowded 20 minute bus ride south to the Adler Planetarium area where there are a few trails along the Lake leading to the 12th St Beach.

Maybe this map I scribbled on will help you get an idea where I wandered/wondered :)


Click Here for my Beach Hazards Day Trip Video along the shore of Lake Michigan in Chicago. The cool thing is that every day the free “wave/water show” is unique based on the wind velocity and direction and season of the year :)




Before crossing under Lake Shore Drive on Fullerton Ave I visited the Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool which is a cool “hidden gem” adjacent to the Lincoln Park Conservatory grounds. It seems like it was a day for artists there, I enjoyed the views that they were painting. I didn’t have the nerve to ask any of them if I could take a picture of their art but I think that would be a nice addition to my Video, “next time” :)


Here’s my short Video walking through the Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool site.

That was before the wave adventure and then after the wave search I was very close to Northerly Island and just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to walk the trails there. Remember “White Saturday” (click for reminder) there?




Totally unrelated, but maybe not, is there a difference between wAnder and wOnder besides the a and o?? Maybe?

Bob Seger has a song called “I Wonder”, it doesn’t answer the question but his Music Video for the song might be a good starting point? 

Click for “I Wonder” by Bob Seger. (FYI, Sirius is the brightest star in the night sky).

It has been a while since I shared anything about the Food Pantry, still helping out there on Mondays, they haven’t fired me yet :). Here are a couple of interesting items:

Santa Claus Melon or Green Gulyabi Melon: White interior like cantaloupe/honeydew, very good, I didn’t get a picture of inside, sorry.

Hearts of Palm, Angel Hair/Spaghetti gluten free “pasta”, I liked it, good Al dente texture.





I better sign off before we all have too many things to wonder/wander about :)

FULL BLOOM AHEAD !!

No comments:

Post a Comment